Home
Obituaries
Directions
About Us
Our Facilities
Pre-Arrangements
Grief Support
For Veterans
Social Security
Merchandise
Lodging & Resources

Dawalt Funeral Home
204 E. Market St.
Salem, Indiana 47167
Tel: 812-883-3541

Our facility is wheelchair accessible

Our Story

 

How it all started . . .

Dawalt Funeral Home was established in 1908 by Winfield Dawalt who took over the business from Curtis Calloway. Mr. Dawalt had a partnership with William Etzler and the funeral home carried the name Dawalt & Etzler Funeral Home until 1940. The funeral home was located on the southwest side of the Salem Square in the ground floor of the Red Men Building where Salem Title is currently located.

In 1950, Frank E. Newkirk Sr., who was an employee of Mr. Dawalt, purchased the business and one year later moved the funeral home to its present location at 204 East Market Street. Mr. Newkirk operated the funeral home until 1962, when he sold it to his brother-in-law, Dan Kelly Sr. Mr. Kelly continued the fine traditions of service and excellence started by Mr. Dawalt and Mr. Newkirk until his passing in 2010.

Today, Dan Kelly Jr. who joined the firm in 1972 and his son Adam Kelly who joined the firm in 2006, continue to run the business under the Dawalt name as a family owned business.

In an ongoing effort to meet the needs of our families and to provide the best facilities available, the present building has been updated several times over the years, with major renovations taking place in 1968, 1972 and 1986, when a second chapel was added with an adjacent parking lot and a handicapped accessible entryway.

Our goal is to continue to keep up with the ever changing needs of our families and community, and strive to offer the best possible facilities and services to the people of Washington County.

Copyright © 2017 Dawalt Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved.    | Website by CFS |